Sunday 10 November 2013

Bradcat's J-Music Focus... Sugar'n'Spice

As most of you know by now, I'm a huge fan of the band Scandal. They played a big part in my love for discovering new Japanese music to listen to. One day whilst browsing YouTube for Japanese bands, one particular video caught my attention called "Hybrid Age". The reason it caught my eye is because my username on YouTube is Hybrid3415 (Don't ask, it's a username I've used since I was 15) So I gave it a listen...




Who was this bad ass of a front woman, accompanied by a cute punky drummer and attitude fuelled crunching indie guitar tones? It was of course Sugar'n'Spice. I loved the track so much, I had it on repeat for over an hour. I followed the links via their description and shortly downloaded the album also entitled "The Hybrid Age" from iTunes. I soon came to love their other tracks, with one of my other favourites being "Queen Kate", a song in which lead singer Kyao, daydreams of visiting London and hanging out with one of her idols; Kate Moss. The track has a very rough British punk, Libertines-esque, vibe to it.



Since discovering the band, I've tried to share them with my friends via Twitter and Facebook. I recently tried my hand at DJing at a local rock night, where I was able to throw in a few tracks by Sugar'n'Spice too. As Kyao manages most of the social media aspects of the band, we have had a few interactions, the same goes for the other members Tsue (guitar) and Mie (drums) ...

A quick Tweet to Mie chan for her birthday...
And a question to Tsue about her incredible appetite...


Kyao was even kind enough to help me surprise one of my best friends for his birthday! Since hearing Hybrid Age, my friend Bob has enjoyed the band as much as I have. I asked Kyao via Twitter if she wouldn't mind getting the band to sign a CD and send it over to me for his birthday. How cool is that?!


The girls hosted a LIVE web chat before one of their shows recently. I messaged them to let them know that I would see them one day...


If your Japanese is like mine isn't that strong, Kyao says; "A guy from England is watching this too! He will visit Japan one day and come to our show, coming from across the sea. Thank you so much!" (Thanks to my friend Mami chan for the translation)

It's really great to see an upcoming band that has such great interaction with their fans. I really look forward to seeing what the girls produce next with their new addition of Okumurakana on bass guitar, and hopefully seeing them play live one day.

Sugar'n'Spice... Ganbatte ne!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are links scattered throughout this blog post linking to the band's Twitter profiles and YouTube accounts, for more information check out the following links:


No comments:

Post a Comment